Sunday, April 06, 2008

Well, I have lost seven pounds. I have lost two dress sizes and seven pounds. This doesn't make sense to me at al...so much so that I asked a trainer, my husband and a girlfriend all that question: WHY? Why can't I lose 17 pounds and two sizes? All three people say the same thing: muscle weighs more than fat. What? So why wouldn't I lose seventeen pounds of fat? I mean, I have had no sugar or white flour for four months. I am so pissed I am not at least ten pounds down.

It doesn't make sense.

But when whine to my brother and I say "I've lost seven pounds," he is astonished.

"Wow, that's great," he says. For the first time, I felt good about losing seven pounds.

"It is against the body's instinct to lose weight, so losing seven pounds is a big deal." That never occurred to me. "Besides losing two dress sizes means you are losing it the right way, you must be working out too."

I went through three people before I felt good about losing weight. I don't know what my brother said differently than the others. I know not once did he say, muscle weighs more than fat---that make no sense to me! I am not able to understand density and weight, thus the reason I am NOT nor never will be a scientist. He told me about things that I could understand. Yeah, I guess the body wouldn't much like to lose weight, I mean what happens if it starves? There are no reserves? It likes reserves. What my body doesn't know is I am an American, it's not likely I'll go hungry. I mean, if it gets really bad, there is always a soup kitchen. The theory that I might starve is the natural instinct, makes sense. Losing weight the right way, that makes sense to me. It means that I am taking care of me. Whenever I am taking care of me, I am in the will of God. Aligning God's will with my will isn't the easiest nut to crack, but one thing is for sure, God doesn't want me drinkin, smokin or meddlin in other people's affairs. He wants me to fit for Him. Thus, me taking care of me, puts me in His will.

Why is it, the older I get, the more my brother makes sense to me? Sometimes I wonder if he made this much sense when I was growing up.

No comments: