Monday, September 12, 2005

per Mom's request:

They Are Just Swimming
They are just swimming,
stroking perfectly in rhythm
like the beating of a steel drum.
Melodies spill through my mind.
A whistle blows, the rhythm changes,
like the beatin of a heart.
Thump-thump
Thump-thump
The butterfly is the most beautiful creature,
with a wingspan of 50 feet,
streaks, spots, black, red, yellow,
beautiful, I wish.
The bodies hoist themselves out of the pool,
walking forward. Will they notice
my body not sleek, finished, toned?
Diet? Healthkick?
Tofu--looks like styrofoam shredded
Rice cakes--styrofoam packed
No, just apples, oranges, fruit
like me, a fruitcake
loaded with sugar, multi-colored,
fake,
fruit
--the kind only Aunt Eunice
can find.
To the weightroom I follow.
Why call this a dry practice?
Dripping with sweat like the rain
pouring from me an empty sky,
Clear, Blue, so empty you can
see the ozone being made,
clearer than the water from a fresh
water spring.
Yet,
it rains bullfrogs.
Ribit.
Muscles ache with the pain not even
a mother in labore has ever
experienced.
Experience, I know nothing,
not even how to talk.
Kissing? Non-existent, wouldn't know
if it happened.
Do they know? Please say no.
Just smile and bare the perspiration
Look at all of them,
talking of Alice in Chains.
They don't know--me.
"Work," Coach screams like the
screaming of the tortured in
the castle of mid-evil times.
Oh, to be a princess with a crown
and innocence to be admired,
people granting your every wish.
Who would need
Love?
Why Love? Because without, love
there is no life
and
without life there is nothing.
Does that mean if there's something there?
Could it be life?
Love?
My footsteps to the shower echo loudly
like they could start an
avalanche. Then the snow would
be
pouring
down the sides of a mountain.
I would be
Crushed---in a shower stall at
the natatorium.
------Rachel Green '94
1rst Place, 12th
Trident Poetry Awards

1 comment:

Rae said...

Blogger took out all of my spacing........so this is not what the poem looks like, but .....erg