Tuesday, September 13, 2005

I just love New York in the fall. If I knew who you were, although this not knowing has its perqs, I would buy you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils.

There are certain smells that have come with my life. There is the smell of Ridgecrest and Camp Crestridge on a summer morning. There is the stale chlorine of my hair after swim practice in the middle of the winter, which is different from the summer cholrine that bleaches my skin, hair and eyelashes. My Mom going on a date with my Dad and the way her Chanel No 5 or Obsession is subtle in my senses.

This morning, autumn snuck into my home. I left the window open because the evening was so nice. There was a coolness which I don't notice until my barefeet hit the hardwood floor and for a shocking moment I think I am getting ready for my highschool day, yet I hear nothing in the background that sounds of Avondale or family and I awake to my apartment in Clarkesville. I quickly hit my knees to say my morning prayers, where I can smell the mountains as I talk to God. I went to make my coffee, I could see out that same window over the top of Clarkesville where a small fog burning off by the morning sunshine. I know it is the first of several. Fall likes fogs that are like the mountains lifting their heavy eye lids in the mornings. My coffee brewing and my recognition that it is a God type morning. I read my meditation and wait patiently as the rest of me catches up to the fact that I am out of bed and moving. I realized that I didn't have to be at work as early as normal and am much happier with the smell of fresh coffee. I watched an episode of the West Wing and ate popcorn while drinking my coffee that had hot chocolate instead of sugar because I was out. It was a righteous morning. By the time I left for work, I was in a pair of jeans and had one of my light/heavy tops that are all about fall. I could still smell the autumn air, but it was obvious by the heat that the morning had almost given way to the left over summer. I love this time of year.

No comments: