Friday, September 16, 2005

"Hats off gentlemen, a genius."

This is what Shumann (spelling) said after hearing Chopin play his own work for the first time. Shumann was an exact contemporary of Chopin, both being born in 1810. While all this is standard in my Mom and Dad's heads, I am no longer a practicing musician and have forgotten much while I have been non-practicing. I use the term "practice" on purpose. I have not practiced my violin or my piano in over a year. When I go to my parents home I generally tinker on their piano, but not practice. I used to drive them nuts not practicing. There were some of my finest fits pitched over not wanting to practice. My discipline is still that atrocious. Last night I attended a performance by Dr. Joe Chapman playing an evening of Chopin at Piedmont College, which is the local private college in Demorest. Anyone who knows where Demorest is knows that it is not even big enough to claim a stop light, only a flashing light that lets the college students and professors cross from the parking lot to the main campus. Who would know that Chopin would be played in such a small place with such expertise. The only notes regarding Dr. Chapman were that he gives recitals all over the state and teaches at North Georgia College and State University. He was fabulous. His tecnique was amazing. I watched as the sweat dripped from his brow while he pounded away at Polanaise in A Major, Op 40, No1; as he breathed the saddness of the Nocturne in E Minor, Op 72, No.1; and rounded out with the Andante Spinato and Grande Polonaise Brillante, Op2. My girlfriend Debbie found out that he was playing last night and the concert was free. Who would guess? I was so grateful to be able to go to a concert dressed in heels and hose with makeup and good company. We had dinner afterward and reveled in the sounds of the piano and how wonderful it was. I was so excited I called my brother because this is the type of thing he does all the time and now I am doing it too. What a great night. I wish I could convey how enjoyable an evening it was.

1 comment:

Dr. G. said...

Joe is a pretty good composer too. We sing one of his pieces with my men's chorus.