Thursday, January 27, 2005

She's got legs, she knows how to use them.
She never begs, she knows how to choose them.--ZZ TOP

So I have started wearing hose in the office. Now to some of you this is something of a standard. When in an office setting, dress professionally. However, in my office there is not a dress code of any kind. Men wear jeans and the women typically can be found in flowered, striped, college insignia scrubs. This is apparently common place in the healthcare industry. Though, I have heard that at Grady Hospital they are implementing the white uniforms for their nurses to distinguish them from the patients, however that is not true here. There is no way to distinguish a visitor from a new employee from management. They are equally set in dress: jeans, a t-shirt and sometimes even a ball cap. I fell to this standard. I fell into the "I'm a slob" category for some time. Then I started to care and began to wear khakis instead of jeans and blouses instead of t-shirts and sweat shirts. No one noticed. Not one person. Then, an eskimo gave me handme downs. It had two beautiful wool skirts in it. Simultaneously, another eskimo took me shopping and there was a khaki skirt and blue skirt for $16.50 a piece. At home, I had collected a long black skirt and a short black skirt for "special occasions," a plaid skirt for interviews and a couple of long khaki skirts for church. So now in my closet are about seven to nine skirts at any given moment. I took the next step. Two years ago I didn't own a skirt. I have almost ten now. The thing that I don't like about skirts (and my mother will even tell you this) is that they make my butt cold. I also have a hard time with the whole hose and slip thing. But, yes, I took the next step in women's professional dress and moved from khaki pants to skirts. Now, no one noticed the lack of jeans, but every one noticed the extention of legs. Everyone. My superboss is quick to point out something on my outfit she likes because she wants to manipulate me out of my professional dress because I am showing her up. Strangely enough, she has stepped out of scrubs and into khakis and nice blouses. On a rare occasion she too steps into skirts. She even noticed my legs peering out in suntan, controltopped, enhanced toe hose at different lengths from knee to ankle skirt. In the day, an ankle showing was a scandalous thing: now I know why.

No comments: