Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oatmeal Cookies

There is a new fad theory going around that I first saw in Matrix: God is a black woman baking cookies. Now that has shown up in a book that is "all the rage." Now, I don't know that God has color, humanity or knows how to bake, but I do know that cookies make life better.

I have had lots of painful changes in relationships lately. My feelings have blown my hair back and my eyes are tired of cryin. I really needed some time to feel good. Something that had nothing to do with going to school or church. I needed something good with someone I loved.

Last night, my husband and I spent time with each other and no one else. We are slowly creeping up on our second anniversary and there seems to be a soft spot forming in both of our hearts. Last night we thought about driving to another city that had a nice restaurant, spend $60 on a dinner and drive back. Instead, we got all dressed up, went to IGA and bought steaks. My husband makes a mean rib-eye and was willing to make the steaks, which is good seeing as my ability to cook steaks is limited. We were having such a good time. As he was cooking the steaks, I started making cookies: oatmeal raisin cookies.

I have never made oatmeal raisin cookies before and I don't know that you can buy a mix for them. They are kind of from scratch kinda cookies. As I got everything mixed, it was time to eat. We ate dinner and went back to the cookies. John had so much fun reading his psych book while waiting on the end product. I was on the phone with a pigeon. It was so good. Baking cookies, spending time with John, helping someone else. It felt like, it was good. It felt like home.

What a great thing cookies are. What a great memory was created by baking them. What a wonderful taste to have as you put them in your mouth hot, fresh from the oven. I know why people want God to bake cookies, it is because it feels so good.

3 comments:

Joanie said...

so thankful for your husband & your cookies! it's so important to have a safe & loving home. happy anniversary!!

Joanie said...

have you created any other "oatmeal raisin memories" today? :-)

Vicki said...

Yumm, if I didn't get a tummy ache from eating too many fresh-from-the-oven cookies we'd never have any left to eat once they'd cooled...

Happy anniversary baby, I got you on mah miiiinnnnddd :)