Saturday, November 01, 2008

Happy All Saints Day

I would love to say I want to be a Saint, but every Saint I have heard of has gone through something rather painful in order to be qualified as a Saint, and I am suddenly not so interested.

A girlfriend of mine blogged on her faith. I have been mulling over some of mine for about a week now. I was taught as a young person to know what is real and what is fake. Gandalf is fake. Christ is real. Hobbits live in Hobbiton, which is nowhere I can find on planet earth, thus fake. Jerusalem is over there, near a sea in Israel which as I understand it has a great military and fights hard for its boundaries, thusly true. Halloween, is fun, but not real. Christmas is about the birth of Christ, and we celebrate by giving gifts. Not sure about Santa...but he is in the spirit of giving and love for others so what the heck a little false (as long as I know it is false) never hurt anyone.

In the past several years, I have been given great opportunity to repent from my sins, have great faith in God and tell others about Christ. I hang out with a lot of people who have little to no faith in anything. These folks start out with "higher powers" that include, but are not limited to door knobs; pet dragons that sit on their shoulders and are made by beanie babies; a not sure, but know it's not human, HP; Mother Earth; Father Time; Buddha; Christ; Mohamed and yes, even the devil himself. Strangely, the devil worshipper got drunk and killed by the police...mmm, think that is a clue. Don't trust devil?

I chose someone to guide me in my relationship with Christ as it was obvious she had a relationship with Christ. It never occurred to me that GOD would mean good orderly direction or any other nonsense, God was God is God, right?

Lately, that guide dumped me because she needed to take care of herself and pursue her own dreams and blah, blah, blah...

Ever since, I have been trying to make sense of what is real and what is false under her guidance. I have decided that words like "Power" and "Energy" are fake. I have looked everywhere to find out what "own your own Power" means. The reason I can only find it in one place is because the author is making things up to sell books. FAKE!!!!

Also, "you're sending out bad energy" has got to be something left over from the 60's. I can't find that anywhere. Maybe it is in the same location as my aura. In other words: FAKE.

Both of these are old mentor sayings. I am going to stick to other sayings that have basis, like One Day at a Time, from Matthew. Or "Faith without Works is dead" from James. They seem to be real to me and it has been suggested not to throw out everything she taught me. So not everything goes, but somethings, trash....

My parents taught me a long time ago that Halloween was silly fun. Energy and Power are now officially silly but not all that fun.

1 comment:

Dr. G said...

Got to keep in mind that James seems to contradict the other new testament books with him "faith without works is dead." The author was James the brother of Jesus or perhaps not, but at any rate he presents a path to discipleship that is much more like Judahism than other new testament writers. It was very controversial to allow James into the canon of holy scriptures when that was decided about 300 a.d., but they finally voted to put him in. I'd say faith that begats works is a good thing, but remember that the faith of a mustard seed is enough to bring you over to God's side in this world.

Dad