Monday, January 01, 2007

So, how's married life?

This is the question that everyone is asking me these days. The reality answer is I DON"T KNOW. The answer I give is, "Well, it's different." Typically, I get a good chuckle or a smile. It is the correct answer. Marriage is different. Mostly change is the difference. Most people have about one major change at a time. I had four out of five. The only other person I know that this has happened to and survived is my mother. I had a instrumental person in my life die. I moved to a new home. I got married. I got a new job. The only thing left is to get a divorce. So when I answer different, I mean really different. There are days when I am overwhelmed with joy and have no choice but to cry, like the day John brought home a Christmas tree, or the day we picked up our new cabinets that our friend gave us, or the day the puppies were born. Then there are the days that I am overwhelmed with the differences/changes and I have no choice but to cry, like the day I realized that I only got to see my family for ten hours for Christmas instead of four days or that I have more my family than I can ever imagine, or that I can't imagine my life without John or that I don't know why everyone doesn't live on a farm. Married life is confusing. I have found some benefits to married life: John loves doing laundry and vaccumming; heavy lifting, bugs and nastiness is no longer a problem; coffee is always made for me in the morning. There are some not so good things too: Some of my clothes have shrunk; there is no dishwasher other than myself; computer time is limited because I don't have priority to the computer because I am not working only in entertainment and finally, there is NO ROOM in the home.

All that being said, we have puppies. Puppies make the world better. There are somewhere between four and six of them. The stongest toppled out the other day and John loved on it and tossed it back under the house with the others. I saw them for the first time today. They are in a pile under the house and are black and white and brown. They are all Baby's puppies. Beautiful. We also have four new calves. And there is a new butter dish on its way. There are new things everyday and much like the puppies, they make me happy. More than anything, married live is happiness at this point. I can't imagine a more loving husband or a warmer home. God knows what's next in my life, but right now, I'm happy.

No comments: