Thursday, June 29, 2006

dollars and nonsense

I have been having a very nostalgic couple of weeks. I am well into old movies. I say old movies as though I am watching black and whites, but what I really mean is movies from my childhood. I can't resist the movies I grew up loving, even when they are bad. I rented the Dark Crystal, Swing Kids and Empire of the Sun through my netflix (I don't know why I don't own a copy of Empire). I bought a double disk set of The Parent Trap and The Parent Trap II. It was ten bucks and I couldn't resist. I also bought the Karate Kid. Ah, Carter. I bought it not because it was my favorite movie, rather yours. It has pretty cool extras. It makes me think of that oversized movie poster Carter had in his room for years. And all things considered, for an 80's movie, it was pretty good. Ralph was such a cutie pie as a youngin. Family movies make me love my family. There is something comforting in watching those films. I really liked the family I was raised in, where as most people I know "deal" with having families, I don't. I know I was a pain growing up, but I recognize that and try not to be today. The funny thing about those movies is that I don't watch them. I mean I turn them on in my dvd player and listen to them. At the really good points I stop and look. But I don't watch them. Mostly, they are noise so that I can clean my house, do laundry. Last night I balanced my check book and took a nap.

On another finatical topic: FINALLY I have a balanced check book. It took me until today to finish. Man, I make mistakes. It amazes me how when I don't keep a running inventory of things how knotted my back becomes. How strong my denial becomes. How I compensate for that uncomfortable feeling that comes with particular actions (in this case: swiping my debit card and not honestly knowing how much I have in my account). In case you are wondering how long I have had these complications: since February. Final moment of pain?: I didn't want to get married without a real balance to mesh accounts. This way John doesn't have to know that I haven't had a balance for six months...yeah, that's a lie. He has been bugging me about it since February and I wanted to shut him up: SEE more Pain. Silly me. I knew as soon as I came out with the number that it was the right one without even looking because it just felt right. Relief. Or as Danielson would say "I have balance in my life."

No comments: