Friday, December 16, 2005

It happened again today. 26-30-29. . . There is ice everywhere. When I say everywhere, I mean everywhere. Tree are down. Powerlines are ripped out of their sockets. Crazy. Cornelia was out of power for 24 hours and parts of it are still struggling. Clarkesville was out for about 5 hours. There are some serious benefits to living next to the electric company. Demorest is still out. They went out about 4 am yesterday morning and still nothing. Lack of power is our dilemma. The schools are closed, which I can see why because of the trees and power. Demorest Elementary and the Demorest Sixth Grade academy are out of luck. I felt like I was driving in though a war zone on the way to work. A battle between the ice and the trees. A thought that crossed my mind was that God was pruning the trees. It looks like it hurts. The size of the limbs that have fallen is unbelievable. Some whole trees are going to be permanently bent over towards the ground. The maples and some of the oaks were not even finished shedding their leaves so the ice is highlighted in reds and oranges. It definitely tells me that as much as we operate on this planet as humans, we are still subject to the powerfully created nature. We can tear down as many trees, we can build tons of roads, we can crank out plenty of polluted air, in the end. . .nature will win out. God does that. Creation of keeping the humans in check.

In other news, Luke is storytelling. I say storytelling because he sounds like someone just telling a story. He mentioned in the very begining someon named Theophilus. The book is written like that is who he is talking to, not that he is writing it. I find it interesting that Luke knows Christ's history. I don't remember Matthew or Mark/Peter talking about any angels. None. Not to mention giving them names. Gabriel is quite a figure. I found humor in that when Gabe first started talking to Mary, she looked at him like he was crazy. It wasn't until he said "do not be afraid" that she realized that maybe this guy was an angel and maybe he was talking to her. Powerful phrase, "Do not be afraid." It changes things completely. I can imagine some random angel showing up on my door step and proclaiming "YOU ARE FAVORED BY GOD, GREETINGS!" I would return with,"GREAT, I AM CALLING THE POLICE." My thoughts would be along the lines of I wonder what planet this guy lives on. Even after Gabe has explained what is going to happen, Mary is still uneventful in her return, "if you say so bud." (I am paraphrasing.) Do not be afraid. It takes the sting out of what's happening. The strange and unfamiliar are not so awful. Do not be afraid.

Well I won't be afraid on my travels to Peachtree City. I will share Christmas glee and excitement of family and love of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take it you are at work. It is supposed to be in the 50s this afternoon, so bye-bye ice. Can't wait to see you!
-Mom

Anonymous said...

so downtown never looses power? at least it came back on by Friday.... at home we finally got power this morning...72 hours 15 minutes later!!! Glad there is a shower at the cafe.
di