Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My puppies sleep upside down. They sleep on their back with thier paws in the air like a dead opossum. They are also chasing cows now. When I mean chasing, I mean leaping up grabbing a hold of the cow's tail while barking incessantly and swinging back and forth while the cow is running back towards the heard. It is very entertaining. They love it. The cows who are easily two tons or just shy of it are actually afraid of my twenty pound pups *and their mom*. I'd like to say that I am not afraid of something that was twenty pounds, but I am afraid of wasps so there you go. We had FIVE wasps in the mud room this morning for which John caught all five and let them go outside. You'd think he's a zen master, but mostly he is just not afraid and a touch insane. Three made their way back into the mudroom while I was doing laundry. I have decided they must have a bat cave entrance into the mudroom. I killed all three. There is nothing about me that is zen like. There is only the roar from within that comes in the victory over the vile, stinging, invasive bugs. The pups think that I am doing a dance of some sort and cheer me on from outside. The days are becoming more like summer everyday. They are warm to a point of sweaty. I sit outside and play with my pups until they cower from the sun in their hot winter coats and retreat to the shade of the trees in the yard. Unless they find it necessary to show off and chase after a bull calf only to be recalled by my short, loud whistle that comes with a dog treat to which ever dog gets back to me first. They return, tongues hanging, begging for me to move into the cool. Never. I am all sun, all the time. I can't imagine not having summer. Although this will be a summer of firsts for me. First time at the farm. First time married. First time in school (ever). First time with my puppies. Maybe if I can learn to sleep with my feet in the air, I will make calmly through this wonderful season of heat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did a google search for "puppies sleep" in order to find out if my little bulldog pup was sleeping too much. Turns out he isn't ;) but during the process I stumbled on to this post and I now need to tell you that you are an inspired writer. Really really nice work - it really gave me an insight to your corner of the world which is something that most bloggers do not seem to be capable of these days. Keep writing! Someone with more clout than me is bound to notice.