Thursday, June 03, 2010

I started to read the book of Ester.  I remembered my girlfriend and her bible study group were reading it earlier in the semester and wondering why.  What I know of Ester from learning the story a million year ago in Sunday School was that Ester was a jew woman who was a queen who stood up for her people.  The part I couldn't remember was whether or not I had ever actually read the scripture or not.  That is the way Baptists are: our Sunday School is set up so that we can actually get away with knowing the Bible without every reading it.  I know Bible verses by heart from when I was a child that I can say or sing and have no idea what book in the Bible they are in or what they mean in context of the chapter or book. 

So I am trying to take Jane's suggestions and get into the Word.  I read the preface.  I like that no one knows who wrote the Book of Ester.  I like that God is not mentioned anywhere in the book by name.  I like that it is controversial in nature as to whether it should have been included in the canon.  Nothing like a woman to stir the pot a bit. 

Then I read the first chapter coincidentally my stomach began to wrench to the left at the same time.  I was horrified by the passage.  Here is this great King and his great Queen throwin parties for their loved ones and mix in a little alcohol and ego and get a problem.  The King is merry with his wine.  DRUNK.  He was drunk.  He calls for his wife as though she were a trophy to be pulled from a mantle.  He didn't even do it himself, he sent someone to go get her.  While I recognize this passage is a bizillion years old and maybe that is how they did things back then, it is not how we do things now.  She says no, because I truly believe that she was born in 1969 and he freaks.  I mean FREAKS.  Seriously?  This great King in my head has just become King Baby: pitches a fit when he doesn't get what he wants when he wants it.  So King Baby, being the King that he is, removes the hippy chick from her throne.  Why? Because he can.  He sucks.  His evil servant who suggested the removal says that it will set an example for the men to keep thier women in line: barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen.  Seriously? You've got to be kidding me...

Am hoping the story gets better.  If nothing else it got my attention.

Thanks be to God.

No comments: