Sunday, June 06, 2010

Cosmetics...what does that mean?

He found favor with Ester and gave her cosmetics and servants...

Ester's real name is Hadassah, which means myrtle.  Myrtle branches signify peace and thanksgiving.  Hadassah.  If we met a woman with a name as such would we consider her Jewish?  The way I pronounce it in my head the name sounds Arab.  Turns out there is an entire Jewish Women's group called Hadassah.  She is from the tribe of Benjamin, this makes me happy because Benjamin is of Rachel, thus Ester must be a great woman if her lineage is of Rachel.  Rachel was strong, beautiful and patient.  Some of these qualities would make a great queen. 

Bathed in myrrh.  I compare myrrh to Chanel No 5.  It is the most expensive perfume I own and I can only imagine being bathed in it for six months.  A year the women were prepared for King Baby.  They were doused for a year.  I wonder if they are also given a trainer and maybe a shopper who picks out fine clothes for them?  Cosmetics is just the outside of the woman.  It is the "trappings" so to speak.  Something of which I have always struggled with a bit: when to wear make-up, how much to wear, to pluck or not to pluck the eyebrows, what is considered casual, too casual or too formal, jewelry...got lucky with a decent man so most of my jewelry is an easy pick, but every now and again should I wear pearls all the time or just with blue jeans? 

She won him over.  Prior to the cosmetics, she found "favor" with him.  And in the end he loved her because she was kind.  All that war of cosmetics and the reality is he liked her before they were added and because of her insides not her outsides.  My guess is that her outsides matched her insides.  Thus the beauty makes. 

I pray Lord God that I may have my insides match my outsides. 

Thanks be to God.

No comments: