Sunday, October 21, 2007

Pray unceasingly. Pray with your thoughts, words, feelings and wills. This was Dena's message this morning. She always amazes me in her ability to hit the nail on the head of what I need. I need more prayer. I have tried to pray unceasingly all day today. I have never consciously tried it before and turns out, it is really hard. I get distracted from prayer easily. If I am in conversation, I can't seem to pray and talk at the same time. I also find it hard to return to prayer once I have had a conversation because I am either a) thinking about the conversation and its elements or b) thinking about self...what I want to do, what I want to say, what I have going on at school, etc. I used to think about other people: what are they doing or thinking, but I have come to find that is a waste of time altogether. So Dena says less thinking, more praying. I have heard that the object of spirituality is to take out self and replace it with God. I am sure God knows that is an impossibility on a whole, because he made us non-gods, rather God-like, but not exact replicas. So if I stop thinking about self and instead pray (think about God)...She says that God wants us to talk to Him. She says that God wants a relationship with us. But doesn't that seem a bit much to only have a relationship with God and no one else? Or maybe, that is not what she is saying. That seems like a Rae twisted bit. I think she may have been saying that when we pray unceasingly our actions will follow and our relationships will too. Kind of like the ping pong balls and the sand. But I have tried today. It is hard. I am distracted right now! I guess I just have to keep trying. It will probably get easier. It is a lot easier to pray when there is an urgency about it. It is harder to pray when you are like, Hey God, life is good. Thanks....No urgency. I must be missing something. I guess I will pray about it until I find out what it is.

No comments: