Wednesday, June 25, 2003

HOT TOPIC!!

There are certain words and names here in the land of manufacturing that have certain meaning. I work in the quality department of a large manufacturing company. We make sure that everything that comes in or goes out is held to our standard. My particular job is to help manage the complaints and do any data entry or clerical work that comes to the quality department. The "lab" that I work in is full of women, except for the supervisor, which is a man. Unfortunately for him, he gets caught in the midst of our feminine society every once and a while. I compare the women I work for to a gaggle of geese. Certain words stir the gaggle--ruffle their feathers, shall I say? If someone comes along and says "HOT PROJECT" or "HOT TOPIC," then whatever it is that they are doing is given some weight. This explains that particular person's edginess and/or excitement for work. Another level up in the levels of work intensity is: "Project for Bill." This means that that person is to put a move on things and have it done by the end of the day. Congratulations, overtime is granted. Step up, which usually includes several of the gaggle, is "Project for James." This one is quite hysterical and kind of looks like throwing a stone in the midst of pidgeons on the square in London. There is a specific scene in Mary Poppins, where the son and daughter go to work with Dad at the bank and all the kids want to do is feed the birds and at the end the pidgeons scatter--yep this is what happens on "Project for James." Then there is the top of the line trouble in paradise and the reason I call these women a gaggle, and that is: "Project for Jack." This has the most signifigance ever and all the women go bonkers and they sound like a gaggle of geese. The heat is on, the noise goes crazy and everyone talks over each other not making any sense, machines are running, calipers are flying and products are going everywhere--Measure, look, accept, reject. . . its time to clock out, go faster. . .

I don't think that these men know that their names are level of instensity for work. It is actually quite humorous to watch when words like "Bill," "James," or "Jack" are said. I am thankful that I don't have levels of alarm. Mostly, everything I do just needs to be done as it is given to me. So that is how I do it. No one thing has more weight over another. About once a month I am granted a Saturday and overtime, however, usually, that is nothing of any significance. I think they are just being nice to me. I am very grateful that everyone I work with is pretty nice to me. I am also grateful for the humor I get to watch on a daily basis.

No comments: