Monday, January 05, 2009



You should be forewarned: I have a soft spot for a teeny bop. Teeny bop qualifies as a movie that has little to no adults in it and the teens do whatever, whenever. The genre's bar was raised as a result of my favorite teens, Dawson Creek. This was good because it meant you had to know a thing or two in order to watch it. It became a requirement to be educated otherwise there was no following the dialogue. 10 Things I Hate About You, meets this bar and raises it again.
This movie is a wonderful rendition of Shakespear's Taming of the Shrew. With the cast loaded in star power, Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles take top bill as the lead of Patrick Verona and Kat Stratford. The set is at Padua High so as to include cliques, teenage insecurities and of course, gym class. In keeping with the tradition of the teeny's films, there is lots of rock music to an almost music video style. However, constant references and puns for Shakespear give the cast high humor to play along with mixing in some of the slap stick of youth. This twist of being teens thrown into the world of the dear William turns out for a delightful, well thought out romantic comedy.
This movie falls in my rentable and buy at the $9 or less range. This is a very watchable, funny, interesting, well played, well written movie. It won an MTV award for best breakthrough performance by an actress (Julia Stiles). It is very teeny bop. It is an excellent film to show in highschool on those days when there is nothing left to do for seniors other than sign yearbooks. It is also a good date movie for those who are renting dvds and popping popcorn at home.
ps this is the first time I have ever written a review and am not sure what I am doing yet. So maybe it will get better with more practice.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love that movie. I readily admit it.

Rae said...

Yeah, I like it too. It is something that I keep on my shelf with purpose.