Sunday, January 04, 2009

I went to see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, this weekend with my husband. The reasons I like movies is because they make me think, evoke emotion, or are sometimes just plain art worthy of taking note. The question that was raised from Benjamin Button was not about birth or death, time or age, but right at the end, he talks about because some people are mothers, swimmers, lovers, daughters...etc,etc. It made me think what am I? I like to try to be a musician on my good days. It is something that my Mom & Dad have instilled in me, but it is more them than me. I like to be a Daughter of the King, except when I go crazy, it vanishes. I like to be scrap-booker, but I recognize that I am only a novice who likes crafts, much like every other ten year old in America. I think I have finally figured out what I do, what I am. I watch movies.


I am a movie watcher. I watch them on dvd, whether owned, rented or netflixed. I watch them on the big screen. I categorize them in an odd fashion of, rentable, buyable, see when in the theatre, see is in the theatre the day it comes out and of course there is any combination of these levels. The super-duper-omg-zowee is when I have to see it the day it comes out, rent it until it until you can buy it, buy it for $22 when it comes out and get the soundtrack for gosh sakes! There are not many of those.


This is something too that my Mom & Dad have given me, that has ended up being more mine than theirs. I have 152 dvds currently. I watch a movie almost everyday. Some people do facebook, others alcohol, others are swimmers, lovers and mothers, I am really, really a movie watcher. I thought about having everything tallied to impress you at the number of Golden Globes and Oscars I have, but that is a bigger task and will be issued at a later date. So far I have 32 Oscars and 18 Golden Globes and that is not even to the first 50 movies. I like a good movie.

For a long time I have been teased by friends about my movie watching. They are always trying to catch a flick I haven't seen. It is pretty hard.

I even have movie friends, such as Debbie. We ditch the boys and go see movies all the time together.

The thing that I don't watch a lot of is comedy. Not romantic comedy (duh, I am a girl) but that awful new form of comedy that assumes we must be stupid, sarcastic and down right horrifically appealing to the masses. Unfortunately, I do have stepsons who buy my husband that stuph, so we actually own a copy of the 40-Year Old Virgin, which is not in my count of 152 movies.

All this being said, every blog has a theme, my theme will be movies because it is what I do more than anything else outside of God. I have alphabetized my movies. I will watch them starting at the beginning with 10 Things I Hate About You and go through Yoga. I will review, give each movie a rating, talk about their Oscars or lack their of, will talk about the reason I like it or don't. This will give some focus to this blog. Although I will say on occasion I will still set out on the emotion isms that just need to be blogged about so watch out for that every once in a while. And with that, I am going to watch a movie!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Cool! I look forward to all the movie reviews.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were still reading my blog! Thanks!