Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I made the best damn omlet of my life.

When I was drunk, I used to say that I made the best omlets. But when I got sober, not so much. Guess I had to be drunk to add to the flavor. Now, I am not a happy go lucky heart healthy food kinda gal. I didn't eat steak until I was 16. I didn't eat red sauce on my spaghetti until...I was in college? I didn't eat green leafy veggies (ie broccoli and dark lettuces) until last year. I am just, well, I am just persnickity. My idea of a good meal consists of a Caramel Macchiato, M&M's, McD's french fries and a prime rib from Outback with tigerdill. I would eat myself crazy on that meal. Unfortunately, that meal makes me fat. As it turns out when you get older, you lose muscle mass as a result of less activity, creating a lower metabolism, leading to fat and so the cycle of an old fat person begins. It starts at 30 btw. It's hard to say which came first, the low metabolism or the lessening activity. Either is possible.

Now that I am 32 and fat, I have decided to act on my inevitability of less muscle tone. I began on December 26 of last year trying to eat no sugar and no white flour. Mind you, I also have no alcohol, no cigarettes, no meddling in others affairs already so to add no sugar and no white flour was no easy task. But I did it. It was stupid. I lost fifteen pounds and every time my horomones kick in, I gain five. All this tells me is that in six months of no sugar and no white flour, I lost ten pounds. Stupid. Don't worry. I limited my caloric intake too. That is how I lost the extra ten and gain five every hormornal cycle. Stupid.

So I have given up on the no sugar diet and made a batch of brownies for some of John's very happy campers and LICKED THE BOWL. It was the best batch of brownies I've ever had. After my splurge, I realized that was not the healthiest approach to continue to loose weight. So I ran. I ran almost two mile. It took me about 25 minutes which means that I was running about a 15 minute mile. It was my compensation for the brownies. I have also added reading a book to my healthy stuph. So as of Monday, I read a part of the book and ran two miles. Then on Tuesday, I did it again. Although I realized that a 15 min mile is a little on the slow side (my Dad is laughing at me right now wondering if I was walking and yes admittly there were periods of a fast pace walk), I timed my first mile to see what I was really running. My first mile was 12 1/2 mins. The second was more. I made it a full two miles on Tuesday and was able to get back before 30 minutes. I will try again today.

Today is my third day on the book and the run plan and as a way to continue to add stuph to the plan, I thought I should try to eat as healthy as I could. I thought an omlet would be nice, but I don't make good omlets. I made one anyway. I figured worse comes to worse, I would give it to Mikey. Mikey likes anything. I made a perfect omlet. I don't know how that happened. Maybe it was the cast iron skillet or the real butter that I used to season the bottom of it, or the milk that I added to the eggs, or the eggs themselves being farm eggs. I don't know, but it encourages me to eat more healthy stuph. So now, the omlet is a part of the healthy plan this week: read the book, run, eat the best damn omlet ever.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

If you are new to running, doing a run/walk method (something like run 3 minutes, walk a minute, etc) is one of the best ways to ease into it. Heck, it's so hot in Houston right now that I run/walk even though I've been running for years.

Joanie said...

keep it up! i'm proud of your hard work.