Saturday, May 17, 2008

Ah, the Martini Gavotte. I didn't know realize what the Martini Gavotte was for when I was growing up. It was just another song in another book that was meant to graduate from by the end of the school year so that I could play in the spring concert and get an award. At the top of the page in my Book 3 of the Gavotte, there are four numbers across the top: 3 4 3 4 low 1. My only guess to this cryptic notation is that those were the fingerings that wer the hardest. There are also fours that are scribbled all over on the song and low ones. Tonation is hard for a young person playing violin. Tonation is hard for me now. I have always had a hard time with my fourth finger. When I would play with the pinkie it would go flat, like a locked knee. I've know that it was not supposed to do that. Dr. Jacobson used to try and help me get it so it would curve like the rest of the fingers. Never happened. It still goes flat. I remember at one point her yanking my elbow forward and the curve happened. Unfortunately, I never really practiced it and thus she couldn't get me to do it correctly. Today, I practiced it. I pulled the elbow around and practiced a curved pinkie fourth finger on every string. My pinkie is weak and the sound was not great, but I practiced. Now my pinkie is sore and my arm aches a little, but hopefully my hand will remember the skill and I can apply it. When I played the piece again, sometimes my finger still went flat, but sometimes not. It is like every thing else that is: discipline, practice, it is a process of learning. It is good to be playing music again.

No comments: