Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Sometimes I watch movies to change the mood I'm in. Sometimes I watch movies because there is nothing else I want to do. Sometimes I watch movies because I don't know what else to do. Needless to say I watch a lot of movies. I have currently six on loan, three from the local store and three from Netflix. I also have four that I have purchased, but have not opened. Needless to say...

Some of the films I watch are funny and yet so true to life for example: Urban Cowboy. Saw this one last night. Funny and yet so true to life. It reminded me of Mama's in Atlanta. That is so real in the relationships of the people there: totally country and totally crazy. Although I totally get the 70's appeal too. I am sure that it was a hit. I rented it because I thought it was John Travolta's first film and first films are always surprising in one way or another. He surprised me in that he made a career off that role. He played a dumb cowboy. No oscar there. But it was right on for the part.

Some films I watch are horrifying. For example, I actually watched all the way through, I say that because it was not easy to do: Monster. Augh. What a horrifying thought and tragic in its truth. Absolute oscar. I watched one of those moves tonight without knowing that was what I was going to watch. I have put so many things in queue for Netflix, I can't remember why I chose the movie. It was called Sometimes in April. This movie was spectacular and riviting. The storyline is based around the genocide in Rwanda. It is an African Shindler's list. The difference was that there were no name actors in it with no name producers, director, etc. I don't know how exactly I picked this one. I think it was because I didn't know what happened in Rwanda, I just knew that something happened. Something aweful. Sure enough, it is amazing. When all of it happened I was a senior in highschool with no ability to look outside of myself long enough to understand what was happening. Now that I am aware, I recognize that the same thing is happening in the Sudan. Millions are dying and because we have no vested interest, unlike countries who have oil or weapons or better hype for elections, no vested interest, we let people die. It's not our business. I am not sure what exactly we could do since we are already engaged militarily in a war that is none of our business, but I am inclined to think that we should be careful minding business that is not ours for vested interests might become bloody interests. With that same man power we sacrafice for vested interest, we could create peace where there is no vested interest and we wouldn't have bloody interest either. I don't understand these wars. I don't understand these countries whose leaders honestly believe in the concept of power. Power is not everything. Mostly I find power to be nothing. So these leaders who sacrafice their countrymen like lambs, they don't know they have no power. So they make hate and war to show they have power. Hate is not power. War is not power. Power is an illusion. Unfortunately, the fall out of hate and war are not illusions. This movie was a great movie. Provocative. Political. Factual. Heartwrenching. It was amazing. I am still thinking about the things that occured throughout the film and probably will be for days. How appropriate too that tonight there is rain on my tin roof. This movie was a great movie. Sometiimes in April.

No comments: