Sunday, February 01, 2009




Okay, so I haven't posted in a while because it took me so long to be willing to watch these movies. But I am going to review both of them with a housecleaning type entry because I don't really care for either of them despite being a huge Jody Foster fan and knowing she won the oscar (Of course).
About a Boy is a lovable story about losers. It is a comedy with elements of tragedy of the human condition, luckily no one dies though. Mostly this is Hugh Grant exploring his ability to do something different in acting. He pulled it off, mostly because I think he may have been playing himself. The boy is a strong charater and has the great unfortune of wearing some of the worst clothing ever made. It is a feel good. It is not worth seeing in the theatres and while I own it, I bought it in the bin at Walmart because I thought maybe it might be worth my time. I do not watch it often, because it is so normal, but it is uplifting in some odd way. Two stars as they say?
The Accused was probably sensational as a movie in the seventies. For those faint of heart it does have a fully filmed gang rape scene in it and do not suggest this movie for just anyone. Jodie Foster is AMAZING. Why this is unusual? It's not. Kelly McGillis on the other hand, is not so amazing. Working next to Jodie has got to be hard. Kelly was out acted through out the whole movie, not that she is much of an actress any way. The constant actor versus non actor comparison makes the movie hard to watch outside of the content and almost makes it a bad movie. It is a so-so movie. I bought this one too in the Walmart bin. I don't watch it much because of the content of the plot being about rape and the graphic nature of the film, but it is a grade A film with not so great acting. Beware. Again, two stars? Maybe three...I would have seen it in the theatres in the seventies had I not been 2. I would own it too, but am glad I didn't pay too much for it.

No comments: